I had a few hours to kill one Saturday so I decided to go check on the crappies in a pond that has had our numbers lately. The weather was cold with a high of the day reaching 9 above but with the wind chill it was hovering right around zero. I have had one good day in search of crappies on this pond, which was last winter right around this time of the year so my hopes were up.
I made my way out to a point and drilled out my grid of holes working from 8 feet of water all the way out to 20. I knew that the fish were going to be mostly dormant but I was hoping by covering a lot of water I would be able to find them balled up somewhere. The pond has very little shoreline contour and the spot I chose was one of the only points that had a sharp break with weeds on the inside falling off into an inside turn of the deep basin. It’s didn’t take long to mark some fish on my FLX-28 Vexilar released this year.
I started deep and began picking up mostly Yellow Perch. I know that the crappie run with the pumkinseed in this pond so once I found them I was hoping I would find the crappie. Usually the target depth is 18 feet but all I was find in the deeper water was perch. I cut a new grid of holes along the shoreline headed towards a natural pinch point working along the edge of the weed bed. The closer I got to the pinch point the more pumkinseeds I was catching, I knew that I had to be getting close. I drilled and drilled and fished using my T7 custom rod and my Maki Plastics for four hours and was never able to find the crappie. Sometimes you get them and sometimes you don’t, every venture out is still a learning experience.